The Graz City Archive at Schiffgasse 4 (district of Gries) was incorporated into the Stadtmuseum Graz GmbH, which also operates the GrazMuseum at Sackstraße 18 (Innere Stadt) in April 2014. As the historical archive of the Styrian State Capital it stores the written records of the city council from 1820 to 1849, and the Graz municipality from 1850 to the present day. It takes over, sorts, and lists the documents accrued in the municipal offices which are not needed anymore in ongoing business and have to be stored for legal, historical, cultural, or other reasons.
The inventories of the City Archive amount to about 5,500 running meters of documents and so called Amtsbücher, the official books of an office, which corresponds to about 28,000 boxes and fascicles. They also include the building documentation archive of old Graz (1825 to 1993) and the one of the former surrounding municipalities (1890 to 1993) with plans of almost all buildings in Graz.
Robert Meeraus, the first city archivist, was the driving force behind the founding of the Stadtmuseum Graz in 1928. The City Archive had been located in the building of today’s GrazMuseum in the Palais Khuenburg for tens of years, which was taken over by the Stadtmuseum Graz in 1970. After the City Archive and the cultural historical collection of the GrazMuseum have been operated in parallel for about 85 years, new historical insights into the past of Graz are to be drawn in an optimum way from the sorted texts, images, and objects—the sources—of both institutions. Now, the not written sources (of the museum), from which situations are not accessible anymore, are added to the written sources (of the archive) from which the historical process becomes more easily accessible.
Mon - Thu, 8 am - 1 pm
(by prior appointment)